There’s nothing like seeing your garden taken over by slugs. Not only can slugs munch through all your seedlings in minutes, but they can also destroy your favorite host or delphinium in days.
Slugs have both male and female reproductive systems and can mate with themselves. Each slug can produce up to 36 eggs, several times a year. They reach adulthood in about six weeks and some species have a life span of 2-6 years. There are some that reach up to 10 inches.
We want to share with you some methods to get rid of those disgusting creatures.
Here are some solutions:
- Slugs avoid crawling over anything dry, dusty or scratchy, such as lime, diatomaceous earth, cinders, coarse sawdust, gravel or sand. These make great barriers to keep them away.
- Epson Salts sprinkled on the soil will help deter slugs and also help prevent magnesium deficiency in your plants.
- Vinegar is a good ingredient for slug sprays and removing slug slime.
- Spread salt around your plants. It dries them out so they won’t go near it.
- Collect human, dog, or cat hair and put around your plants, slugs will not go on it.
- When you find a slime trail, destroy the track so other slugs will not follow the same way. There are certain plants that slugs hate like the strong smell of mint, chives, garlic, geraniums, foxgloves and fennel. Plant them around the edge of your garden to keep them out.
- Put stone paths along your flower beds.
- Put Copper of foil barriers around plants which slugs are trying eat. When the slugs cross them they will be given a small shock.
- If you find slugs in your potted plants, put petroleum jelly around the base and tops of your plant containers and watch them slip and slide.
- After eating your 1/2 grapefruit for breakfast, put it into your garden to make slug trap. Turn upside down after putting a small hole or two on the side for slugs to enter. They adore grapefruit and the slugs will gather there to eat the grapefruit and leave your plants alone. Collect the grapefruit and put it into the compost bin.
If you have other methods that work, let us know and please share this article.
- Advertisement -