Lemonade: sugar, water, lemon juice. It is so easy, right? Well, the problem is that if you just stir all of these ingredients together, the sugar will sink to the bottom. So the best way to make lemonade is to make simple syrup first, by heating water and sugar together until the sugar is completely dissolved and only then, mix that with the lemon juice.
The proportions will depend on how sweet and strong you want your lemonade to be. Start with the proportions of 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of water, 1 cup of lemon juice. Reduce the sugar amount if you are using Meyer lemons or if you want your drink to be less sweet.
Make the simple syrup, combine with the lemon juice, and then add more water (and ice, if you like) to dilute the lemonade to your taste.
Simple syrup you can easily make ahead and chill for later use. If you have a bunch of lemons you need to process, you can juice them and freeze the juice too.
For more intense lemon flavor, grate the zest from one fresh lemon and add the zest to the simple syrup while making it. Once the sugar has dissolved in the water, remove from heat and let the zest seep in the syrup for several minutes, then strain out the zest when you add the syrup to the lemon juice.
- Advertisement -
- 1 cup white, granulated sugar
- 1 cup water (for the syrup)
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 2 to 3 cups cold water (to dilute)
- First of all, make that “simple syrup”. Place the sugar and water in a small pan and bring to a simmer. Stir so that the sugar dissolves completely, and then remove it from heat.
- While the water is heating for the syrup, juice your lemons. Depending on the size of the lemons, 4 to 6 of them should be enough for one cup of juice.
- Pour the juice and the syrup sugar water into a serving pitcher. Add 2 to 3 cups of cold water and taste. Add more water if you would like it to be more diluted. If the lemonade is a little sweet for your taste, add a little more straight lemon juice to it.
Refrigerate 30 to 40 minutes.
Serve with ice, sliced lemons.
Enjoy it! Share this easy recipe with your friends and family. If you have any other recipes, comment them down below.
- Advertisement -